Working from home is today’s “new normal”. It presents some challenges. However, there are solutions to every challenge.
- No special place for a work-only environment
- No line between work and play
- No tools or software
- Too many distractions
- No accountability
- No exercise
- Set aside a designated room or area for work only
- Set your schedule to include specific work hours
- Use online tools and software designed specifically for your work needs
- Set daily, weekly, and monthly goals and be accountable for their progress
- Complete the biggest, most pressing tasks before distractions put you behind
- Use the one-minute rule: Anything that can be done within a minute should be done first
- Schedule breaks throughout your day
- Get tomorrow’s work ready before you leave for the day
- Set up “To-Do” lists. Add anything you didn’t finish today and schedule time to complete them tomorrow
Optimizing Your Office
- Use systems to keep yourself organized
- Go paperless as much as possible
- Make yourself comfortable. Adjust your desk, chair, and computer so you don’t end up with aches and pains.
- Create an environment of peace. Play soothing music, place inspirational quotes on your desk or wall.
- Show off your awards. It will help keep you focused on why you work so hard.
Tools and Apps
- G-Suite – A cloud-based suite of apps and tools providing solutions for email, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation decks, shared calendars, cloud storage, and much more.
- Free Conference Calls – Set up conferencing and face-to-face meetings online. GoToMeeting, and FreeConferenceCall are 2 available free options.
Many professionals already have experience working from home. Others may be experiencing it full-time for the first time. Either way, this list of working from home challenges and solutions are helpful for everyone.