Instagram success usually means posting lots of beautiful images you took using your SmartPhone. Some people have successful Instagram accounts without using a SmartPhone at all. Others will use images that they have acquired or will use a high-quality professional camera. In most cases, though, the SmartPhone is the first thing people use for great Instagram photos. Here are 5 tips for better photos using your SmartPhone.
- Composition – The composition of your shot means thinking about where the subject is in relation to the other elements. Think about how you’re going to line up the shot, and how you will convey a sense of scale and depth.
- Depth – One option for creating depth is to ensure that you feature something in the foreground, middle ground, and the background. These three elements will create that sense of layers. Another tip is to try and ‘lead’ the viewer’s eye from the foreground into the background. This can be achieved by looking for something like a path or a road.
- Story – Telling a story means not necessarily just taking a photo of the thing you want to ‘say’. Leave something for the viewer to figure out. An empty glass speaks to the presence of a person at some point in town. A party, or maybe a sad lonely drink? Think of the Mona Lisa – which has captivated people for generations by being a mystery.
- Lighting – The phone you choose will have a big impact on the quality of the photos it produces, but the lighting is just as important. In fact, it’s arguably better to take a well-lit shot on a cheap camera phone, than it is to take a poorly lit shot on a great phone! Consider the position of the window and where it is in relation to the subject. Think about the time of day. And if possible: invest in lighting equipment.
- Phone – Choose a good camera phone. Know what you’re looking for. High megapixel counts sound good on paper but are far less important than other features such as the quality of the lens being used to capture those pixels, the size of the aperture, and image processing.
Every Instagram success story starts with captivating photos. Choosing the right SmartPhone, knowing how to tell a story with your photos, and setting up the shot are all part of your Instagram success story.
Click here for a complete Instagram Marketing Success Checklist.
Other Instagram posts your may enjoy reading:
- Instagram Verified Account Benefits
- Instagram: 3 Tips for Posting Without Taking Photos
- Instagram: Grow Your Account Quickly